Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Not blending in

Today I(b) spent a whole afternoon out. It went okey, I thought I blended in, I relaxed and well, of cause some people stare, but that has been the case for more than three years now, so it is sort of normal.

I enter our building and head for the elevator. When the elevator arrives, a Japanese woman and her mabye 3 years old daughter show up as well. I enter the elevator and holds the door for them. The woman enters, but the little girl on the other hand refuses to do so. Instead the little girl starts to scream and cry and looks frightened at the 1,80 meter tall gaijin girl. NO WAY she wants to ride an elevator with that freak. In the end the mother had no other choice than to demand the girl to enter.

During the whole ride on the elevator the woman kept apologizing and giggled while she covered her mouth with her hand (Japanese tend to do this when they are embarressed). The child never stopped crying from her hide out behind her mothers leg.

It will probably take a day or two before I again believe that I can totally blend in here...

No comments: