Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A day in the golden field

After only three hours sleep due to Mikas wedding yesterday, I am surprised I didn't fall asleep amongst the ricestacks near Yabuki, an hours drive from Koriyama. But no, today was all about harvesting rice, so no time for idyllic napping, despite the inviting laid-back atmosphere that always greet you on the countryside. I love the countryside.
The trip was organized by a threesome, - a local NGO for mentally challenged people, Kalmia which is an international organization in Koriyama and the owners of the field, the local sake brewery whom I assume will use the harvested rice for making at least cooking sake.

Equipped with a small scythe for cutting and softened weed for bundling the work came around pretty easily. Here it is my Malaysian friend Shy, who almost disappeared in the ricefield.


Bundling with Ayako-san.
Confused frogs jumped around our feet, wondering why we cut down their golden rice-forest.
We were around 50 people cutting down, bundling and stacking the rice.


Here is the field well halfway through:
Afterwards a celebration lunch was arranged with mochi in tons of variations, the local community performed a traditional danceshow and the day was rounded up with a quiz in Japanese about farming in Japan. I have no idea how I ended up with a price. (I think I owe that one to Shy of Robyn).
Here we are, the whole group from Kalmia:



This fellow is my favorite resident in Yabuki. I absolutely adore him.

No comments: